DuPont Mansion & Inn at the Park
Historic Bed & Breakfasts

Monday, January 24, 2011

Our Innkeeper Sends You a Special Invitation


My life as the Innkeeper at the DuPont Mansion is like being on vacation 365 days a year.  The peace and contentment felt in this glorious home is like a day at the spa.  All my stress (and yours) just seems to melt away after one night in this wonderful home.

When you arrive I will greet you at the door with a big smile and welcome you with open arms (sometimes literally).  Then, I will take you on a short tour of the first floor while I tell you the history of the Mansion, then on to the second floor.  A courtesy kitchen is provided for your convenience on the second floor with all kinds of goodies on the counter and in the fridge. 

You will be shown to your beautiful, comfortable room on the second or third floor and then allowed to do as you please.  There are no curfews in this home, you have your own set of keys and may come and go as you please.

I want you to use the many amenities of my home and make it your own.  Please enjoy a book and a glass of complimentary wine in our beautiful parlor or I'll be happy to serve you a glass of hot tea or coffee and one of my decadent desserts.  It's your call!  The next morning I will prepare a sumptuous breakfast on your schedule and if you want to come down in your jammies, feel free.  It happens!

This winter I am making some special soups to share with my guests in case they want to relax and stay inside rather than going out to dinner.  One of my favorites is potato soup.  I love to share the triumphs that I put together in my kitchen!  Here's my recipe:
 
Genny's Favorite Potato Soup

(West Virginia Style)
Serves 6 (if they aren't too hungry)

12 nice size potatoes (cubed)
1 large onion (diced)
1 green and 1 red pepper (diced)
1 can mushroom soup
At least 1 stick of butter
Herbs (basil, cilantro, etc.) to taste
Seasoned salt to taste
Pepper

Cover potatoes with water and cook until potatoes are tender.  The soup tends to become thicker the longer it is simmered.

Serve with hot rolls or biscuits.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Genny,

    Gayle and Herbert Warren have done us a great service in restoring the Dupont Mansion to it's earliest elegance. What a feast for the eyes, and and overall sense of the past one feels as crossing the threshold of this fine home.

    The big surprise for us was the warmth that we felt within this elegant setting and that is where you come in, Genny. Your passion and love for your life at the Mansion bubbled to the surface as you opened the door to welcome us. The decadent breakfasts that you prepared for us, and the delicious freshly baked cakes were a real treats.


    Genny, thank you for making our first trip (definitely not our last) to Kentucky such a special event. Your genuine hospitality is contageous bringing life and friendship to the Dupont Mansion - We will return!

    Thank you,

    Your New York Fans,

    Marge & Bernie

    ReplyDelete